Marine et Cotiere Travaux d ingenierie cotiere
EPIC for the coastal erosion and shoreline protection of Halul Island (Qatar)
The project concerns coastal erosion and shoreline protection of Halul Island, which is part of the State of Qatar and is located in the Arabian Gulf approximately 80 km Northeast of Doha. The island is roughly oval in shape and occupies an area of approx. 1.5 square km, with the longest length in a north/south direction of 1.7 km and 1.3 km in the east/west direction.
Due to Halul being a small island, there is a substantial amount of infrastructure built within close proximity to the shoreline. Considered the exposure of the island to wave attacks, in particular to the prevailing north/north-westerly wind and Shamal storm events, and the considerable retreat of the coastline being known to have taken place due to coastal erosion, coastal defences in several areas are needed to prevent damage to this strategic infrastructure from erosion, from wave overtopping and the inundation of low-lying areas.
The coastal defenses and shoreline protection works included in the project are to be implemented under the following schemes:
- North Cliffs Frontage – approx. 564 m – Edge Protection at foot of cliffs and cliff re-grading: Located on the north of Halul where the coastline is characterized by rapidly eroding cliffs. Coastal protection works are required due to the erosion and stability of the cliffs.
- North West Coast Road – approx. 224 m – Edge Protection and rising of the present temporary road level: Located on the north west of Halul along the shore side track road. Coastal protection works are required due to erosion, flooding of the track road and associated undermining of the NSS Tower foundations.
- Turtle Nesting Beaches – Management Plan for the Turtle Beaches: Located on the west coast of Halul, management of the beaches is required to preserve the Turtle Nesting areas.
- Proposed Sub-Station Frontage – approx. 301 m – Edge Protection works with reclamation at the southern end: Located between the northern part and the causeway carrying the formation water pipeline. This frontage is divided in two portions either side of the currently under construction shore protection associated with the sub-station construction. Coastal protection works and reclamation are required due to erosion and flooding risks to the substation.
- Power Station Frontage – approx. 150 m – Edge Protection: Located on the west of Halul. Coastal protection works are required due to erosion of the compound area and fence as well as flooding and disruption to operations.
- Radioactive Materials Store Frontage – approx. 349 m – Edge Protection with areas of reclamation: Located on the south west corner of Halul between southern area and alternative jetty. This frontage is divided in two sections. Coastal protection and reclamation works are required to provide appropriate level of defense to the radioactive material store due to erosion and overtopping.
- Southern and Eastern side of Centralized Industrial Area (CIA) Blasting Booth – approx. 50 m – Shore protection construction, partly with Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) retaining wall and partly with RC wall, reinstating the existing shore protection at the transition with the proposed RC/MSE shore protection wall.
- South Helipad Frontage – approx. 157 m – Edge Protection with reclamation: Located directly east of the harbour, reclamation and edge protection are required to develop the proposed south helipad.
- Export Metering Station Frontage – approx. 18 m – Splash wall to protect key infrastructure: Located on the south east of Halul the Export Metering Station and associated 2 SPM pipelines are key infrastructure. A splash wall is required due to overtopping.
- BBQ Area Frontage – approx. 193 m – Edge Protection, reclamation and protection of cliffs at BBQ headland: Located on the south east corner of Halul. Coastal protection works are required to protect and stabilize the cliffs from erosion and provide a recreational land from reclamation.
- Club House Frontage – approx. 184 m – Edge Protection with reclamation: Located on the east of Halul. Coastal protection works are required to provide an edge protection to the recently reclaimed land.
Consolidated Engineering Construction Co (CECC)
Prestations de service
Physical modelling, Detailed Design
Coût des travaux